8. Serving Opportunities
Here are some opportunities for you to BE THE CHURCH, connect to the community and show the love of Christ.
- Are you looking for a way to serve in International Missions from the safety of your home? The LCMS (servenow.lcms.org) has some great opportunities in Peru and Dominican Republic. Through these experiences you will learn about other cultures, meet new people, online English conversations, and more! Contact Mary Stafford-Nunez at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- B.A.S.I.C.S. of Milwaukee is hosting an event called, 'Front Row Seat' on Saturday, October 30 from 10am-2:00pm. This event will take place at Harvest Community Church in Oak Creek. The event is FREE and lunch will be provided. The goal of this event is to bridge the divide that separates us in real and practical ways. This happens through courageous conversations, interactive and transparent dialogs, marked by humility and mutual submission. As we share stories and questions, we bring understanding to the unique experiences of race - from either side of the aisle. We aim to build compassion for one another and to create unity as one body – one family, under Christ. Front Row Seat, begins with panelists of differing ethnic backgrounds sharing experiences and tackling tough questions. Participants will have the opportunity to be a part of the dialog in breakout groups: sharing and listening to racism's impact on their lives through stories and responding with curiosity, compassion, care, and a new understanding. Click HERE to register.
- We have many ways for Life Groups to serve together! Please click HERE to see how your Life Group can be the hands and feet of Jesus!
SEWING Banners for a Lutheran Church in the Grand Cayman Island
- Work together with a team to sew a set of eight paired banners (16 total) for the tiny Lutheran mission in Grand Cayman.
Safe Harbor Lutheran Church, the LCMS mission in Grand Cayman, has always met for Divine Services in a rented space. The specific site has changed frequently. These banners will be something that can go with the congregation, no matter what location they are worshipping in. The banners will provide a visual reminder of the permanence of Christ despite the transient nature of the space.
The designs are simple, yet Christ-centered. They will follow the liturgical year in color and theme. Detailed plans for the banner project will be provided. A leader of this project is needed as well as volunteers! The leader will work with Heidi Paul, the wife of the missionary pastor in Grand Cayman. The leader will coordinate:
- Any volunteers who want to help make the banners;
- Fundraising for the project (Thrivent Action Team grants could be a great source);
- Purchase of supplies to ensure uniformity across all banners;
- Distribution of supplies to volunteers;
- The making of the banners;
- Communication among volunteers and with Heidi Paul;
- Shipping of the finished banners to a location in Florida.
- Hope Street Ministry helps broken men, women and children cultivate hope by providing a safe environment for building community, developing self-sufficiency and experiencing the love of Christ. Hope Street is helping a family in need get back on their feet and they are looking for a few donations. If you are able to donate any of the following, please email Hannah.
- kitchen utensils
- dish set
- Belgium waffle maker
- dining room table with 6 chairs
- chest of drawers & dressers
- coffee table and end tables
- bath towels
- 4 slice toaster
- Family Promise of Waukesha County – helps homeless families with children to regain and retain their independence. They are looking for people to provide meals and people to staff overnight shifts at churches in the area. Check out their website at www.familypromisewaukesha.org or email at email@example.com
- Habitat for Humanity is a nonprofit organization that helps families build and improve places to call home. They believe affordable housing plays a critical role in strong and stable communities and they are offering several opportunities to build or repair homes with families. If you are interested in volunteering, please contact Mary Stafford-Nunez for more information at 262-783-4270 or firstname.lastname@example.org. If you would like to make a financial contribution, please see our Generosity Challenge Giving link by clicking HERE.
- Take Them a Meal: One of the ways we can help families is to make and deliver food during times of need. Whether it's someone who just welcomed a new baby, just had surgery or is sick, let's fill their tables and warm their hearts! If you would like to deliver one of your favorite meals to someone in need, please contact Kelly Huegerich to be added to the email list. When the need arises, Kelly will email a sign up list and you can choose the date that works best for you. You do not need to participate in each meal request.
- Griefshare Group at Hope Lutheran is a grief recovery support group where people can find help and healing for the hurt of losing a loved one. They are looking for home groups and families who would like to take a meal to the Griefshare Group on Saturdays between 11:45am-noon. The meal needs to serve 12 people and should be individually wrapped for health and safety concerns. The meal only needs to be delivered not served. A thoughtful added touch would be including a 'thinking of you' card with encouraging scripture. Hope Lutheran is located at 1115 North 35th Street, Milwaukee. Please contact Mary Stafford-Nunez at email@example.com.
- Bethesda is doing all we can to keep people we support connected to their faith and the community during the COVID-19 pandemic, but staying home 24/7 is difficult for anyone. Our DSPs and frontline staff are doing an incredible job of providing those we support with love, empathy and encouragement to get them through this time—you can too, by sending an e-Card to a Bethesda home! Simply follow this link, choose an image, write your message and click submit. Just a few moments of your time would bring so much joy during this challenging time.
- Feeding America is looking for volunteers to work the warehouse. Click HERE.
- A Place of Refuge is in need of your help!
- Blessed Again Resale shop is looking for volunteers. They are looking for YOUNG volunteers to give the Senior volunteers a break during Covid- 19.
- Become an advocate and friend for moms who are in need of encouragement and pregnancy support as we provide community resource referrals and help.
- Call Mary Stafford- Nunez for more information at 262-783-4270 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Do you have another idea to serve the community? We would like to help! Let us know what your thoughts are and we will call you to connect! Please fill out the form HERE.