6. Serving Opportunities
Here are some opportunities for you to connect to the community and show the love of Christ.
- Feeding America is looking for volunteers to work the warehouse. Click HERE.
- A Place of Refuge is in need of your help!
- Blessed Again Resale shop is looking for volunteers. They are looking for YOUNG volunteers to give the Senior volunteers a break during Covid- 19.
- Become an advocate and friend for moms who are in need of encouragement and pregnancy support as we provide community resource referrals and help.
- Home Group Support – Throw a shower for a mom expecting! It can be virtual with the gifts dropped off.
- Call Mary Stafford- Nunez for more information at 262-783-4270 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mexico Mission Trip Relief Effort – As you may have heard in many news reports, Mexico has been hit hard with the COVID – 19 which is complicated more with little testing and challenged health care systems. Our ongoing relationship with El Divino Salvador and Lutheran Border Concerns Ministry since 2005 remains strong despite cancelling our short -term trip for this year. Last month, our missionaries pooled their personal funds to send over $3200 to El Divino for relief efforts including food, mission needs and lumber to build one house. With last weeks huge success of the Flower Sale we were able to send an additional $2500 to Lutheran Border Concerns Ministry to use for relief efforts of supplies for their breakfast program and other needs of the community. To learn more about the ministry www.lutheranborderconcernsministry.org. You may want to check out the Angel-wings Program to support a child with education and food. Facebook: Angel Wings – Lutheran Border Concerns Ministry. Facebook, Divino Salvador in Tijuana, Mexico.
- Guatemala Mission Trip Relief Effort – Guatemala has also been hit hard with the COVID – 19. Since our first FAMILY short-term mission trip needed to be cancelled, the participants have sent almost $800 in relief effort to Child Beyond. Learn more about their ministry at www.childbeyond.org. They continue to ministry to children and families just outside of Guatemala City who are abused, abandoned, frightened, hungry and needing a place to call home!
- BASICS (one of our mission partners) – In the midst of growing racial tensions in the US, BASICS offers Front Row Seat (www.basicsmke.org) to dialog for understanding facing racism together. Some of our own members, Adam Kirsch and Jessica Stamm have been on previous discussion panels to share their experiences. Their next event is Thursday, June 11 from 6:30pm – 8:30 PM online. Come and be a part of the discussion and along with Mary Stafford- Nunez! Space is limited so sign up HERE now! Many other great resources to watch and learn are on their website too!
- Safe Families, one of our mission partners, is looking for VIRTUAL Family Friends for families struggling during these difficult times. Fill out an application, learn more and attend a training through this link. Now is the time to serve by walking alongside a family to coach and support them even when we physically need to stay distant. Most families are located in the hot spots of Milwaukee and Waukesha. They also are in need of toilet paper and antibacterial soap as they put together care packages to make stay at home easier on families with no transportation or childcare to obtain these essentials. Drop any donations inside main church doors and we will share them with Safe Families. The church is open Monday-Friday from 8:30am-1:30pm.
- Milwaukee Rescue Mission – We are one of 7 churches that has been asked to respond to many needs.
- They are making 225 Food baskets a week for their school families and surrounding neighborhood. This is NEW to them and need your help in providing food supplies. Click HERE.
- Volunteers – They are in need of an additional 50 – 60 volunteers to keep things running well. These positions would NOT be directly working with anyone who is sick. The risk of the COVID-19 virus is the same level as shopping at Target. They will provide safety supplies for you. The needs range from kitchen help, working with kids in Joy house on school work, security, guest laundry, hospitality, cleaning the building, health screenings, visitor lobby attendant and donation reception as well as many more. You would get to select what you would be interested in. They ask for a minimum of one shift a week. Contact Mary Stafford-Nunez for more information to apply as a volunteer. Thank you to Miller Janzen who is the first Brookfield Lutheran Church Christ-like servant to volunteer!
- Virtual mission trip to Hong Kong: Even though we are still not able to travel to Hong Kong this summer to help lead a VBS, we have been invited to be a part of a team working on a virtual VBS through some prerecorded and live sessions using Group Publishing Curriculum. Details are still being worked out. Help is needed for section leaders like crafts, story time, science and games. Crew leaders are also needed. VBS will be held during Hong Kong’s morning which is our evening. Contact Mary Stafford Nunez to sign up for this first time ever type of mission trip! All ages welcome!
- Eras Seniors Service is looking for assistance for Seniors in Waukesha and Milwaukee Counties. Looking for a way to serve our community? During this time, our organization continues to provide essential services for people living in Milwaukee and Waukesha counties. We are incredibly grateful for our current and new volunteers who help ensure our clients meet their basic needs. Since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic in Wisconsin, we have recruited, screened, trained, and onboarded 221 new volunteers to help our local seniors and adults with disabilities. During this time, Eras is providing the following services: Transportation to medical appointments, grocery shopping for clients and delivery of groceries or food pantry stock boxes, weekly wellness calls, new-client assessments over the phone, seasonal yard clean up services.
- Sign up to volunteer for Eras by visiting our website or by calling
(414) 488-6500 to volunteer in Milwaukee County or (262) 549-3348
to volunteer in Waukesha County.
- Make an online donation to support our COVID-19 efforts or a sustainin
a monthly gift to support all of our programs.
- Sewing Masks? As we get ready for our reopening for onsite worship, we would like to have masks available for those that may not have one. Donations will be received at Brookfield Lutheran Church office during the work week. Need fabric? Contact Gerrie Marincic at 262-783-4270.
- Do you have another idea to serve the community? We would like to help! Let us know what your thoughts are and we will call you to connect! Please fill out the form HERE.