7. Serving Opportunities
Here are some opportunities for you to connect to the community and show the love of Christ.
- Hope Street Serve Saturday! Saturday, August 8, 9:00am-12:00pm. Join us, either on your own or gather some friends or a small group, and enter into the Greenhouse for People on 26th and Capitol to help us do some work around our building. This could be cleaning, painting, or general maintenance. Register today, or email Thomas at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Kingdom Milwaukee is a group of christians from the MIlwaukee area who have been praying, planning, and seeking God for His will for the week of the Democratic National Convention. They would love for you to be a part of their Summer Outreach Week! From August 16-21, there will be daily outreach opportunities to show and tell people the love of Jesus. Not only will you have the opportunity to serve local residents, but all those visiting Milwaukee that week. Please click HERE for details and registration.
- Bethesda is doing all we can to keep people we support connected to their faith and the community during the COVID-19 pandemic, but staying home 24/7 is difficult for anyone. Our DSPs and frontline staff are doing an incredible job of providing those we support with love, empathy and encouragement to get them through this time—you can too, by sending an e-Card to a Bethesda home! Simply follow this link, choose an image, write your message and click submit. Just a few moments of your time would bring so much joy during this challenging time.
- B.A.S.I.C.S., one of our local missions is partnering with NCF (National Christian Foundation) and hosting a "Covid Cares Hygiene Drive". Enlist your friends, family, coworkers and church to collect hygiene items for Milwaukeeans in need! Hygiene items are in large demand and provide not only cleanliness but a sense of dignity. Supplies will be distributed in neighborhoods where job/income loss has been significant due to COVID-19. For a complete list of details and needed items, please click HERE.
- Cornerstone of Grace-a new mission startup in Watertown needs your help! (introduced to us through LINC, one of our local missions) This is a great service project for an individual or a Home Group. Cornerstone is a faith-based organization designed to serve women and children in crisis. Their mission is to be a safe haven while offering the love, spiritual guidance and resources to build a solid foundation for growth and stability. As they prepare to open their house to serve three women and 8 children, they are in need of help with indoor projects such as painting and outdoor landscaping. There is alo a need to have a bathroom remodeled as well as other rooms remodeled and they would love to have some sponsors. Cornerstone is also looking for ongoing service with the women and children in mentoring, photography, cooking, gardening, tutoring, crafts and housesitting. If you would like more information on this ministry and their needs, please contact Mary Stafford-Nunez at email@example.com.
- Feeding America is looking for volunteers to work the warehouse. Click HERE.
- A Place of Refuge is in need of your help!
- Blessed Again Resale shop is looking for volunteers. They are looking for YOUNG volunteers to give the Senior volunteers a break during Covid- 19.
- Become an advocate and friend for moms who are in need of encouragement and pregnancy support as we provide community resource referrals and help.
- Call Mary Stafford- Nunez for more information at 262-783-4270 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mexico Mission Trip Relief Effort – As you may have heard in many news reports, Mexico has been hit hard with the COVID – 19 which is complicated more with little testing and challenged health care systems. Our ongoing relationship with El Divino Salvador and Lutheran Border Concerns Ministry since 2005 remains strong despite cancelling our short -term trip for this year. Last month, our missionaries pooled their personal funds to send over $3200 to El Divino for relief efforts including food, mission needs and lumber to build one house. With last weeks huge success of the Flower Sale we were able to send an additional $2500 to Lutheran Border Concerns Ministry to use for relief efforts of supplies for their breakfast program and other needs of the community. To learn more about the ministry www.lutheranborderconcernsministry.org. You may want to check out the Angel-wings Program to support a child with education and food. Facebook: Angel Wings – Lutheran Border Concerns Ministry. Facebook, Divino Salvador in Tijuana, Mexico.
- Guatemala Mission Trip Relief Effort – Guatemala has also been hit hard with the COVID – 19. Since our first FAMILY short-term mission trip needed to be cancelled, the participants have sent almost $800 in relief effort to Child Beyond. Learn more about their ministry at www.childbeyond.org. They continue to ministry to children and families just outside of Guatemala City who are abused, abandoned, frightened, hungry and needing a place to call home!
- Safe Families, one of our mission partners, is looking for VIRTUAL Family Friends for families struggling during these difficult times. Fill out an application, learn more and attend a training through this link. Now is the time to serve by walking alongside a family to coach and support them even when we physically need to stay distant. Most families are located in the hot spots of Milwaukee and Waukesha. They also are in need of toilet paper and antibacterial soap as they put together care packages to make stay at home easier on families with no transportation or childcare to obtain these essentials. Drop any donations inside main church doors and we will share them with Safe Families. The church is open Monday-Friday from 8:30am-1:30pm.
- Milwaukee Rescue Mission – We are one of 7 churches that has been asked to respond to many needs.
- They are making 225 Food baskets a week for their school families and surrounding neighborhood. This is NEW to them and need your help in providing food supplies. Click HERE.
- Volunteers – They are in need of an additional 50 – 60 volunteers to keep things running well. These positions would NOT be directly working with anyone who is sick. The risk of the COVID-19 virus is the same level as shopping at Target. They will provide safety supplies for you. The needs range from kitchen help, working with kids in Joy house on school work, security, guest laundry, hospitality, cleaning the building, health screenings, visitor lobby attendant and donation reception as well as many more. You would get to select what you would be interested in. They ask for a minimum of one shift a week. Contact Mary Stafford-Nunez for more information to apply as a volunteer. Thank you to Miller Janzen who is the first Brookfield Lutheran Church Christ-like servant to volunteer!
- Do you have another idea to serve the community? We would like to help! Let us know what your thoughts are and we will call you to connect! Please fill out the form HERE.