5. Serving Opportunities
Here are some opportunities for you to BE THE CHURCH, connect to the community and show the love of Christ.
- Helping those who are home-bound: We have a few Brookfield Lutheran members as well as many people in our community who are home-bound especially during COVID-19. We would like to put together 100 care bags and deliver them! We are looking for donations such as:
- socks, ornament, lotion, postage stamps, crossword puzzles, magazines, notecards, wrapped snacks/crackers, Advent devotion booklet or other devotion booklet
- written note of encouragement and spiritual inspiration
Each bag will also include a Christmas card from Charity Comfort Dog! Donations can be dropped off in the church office. The office is open Monday-Thursday from 8:30am -3:30pm, Fridays from 8:30am-12:30pm and on Sunday mornings.
The collection deadline is Sunday, December 6. We are also looking for volunteers to deliver the care bags to Dixon Hollow, close by care facilities and to homes. Deliveries can take place between Wednesday, December 9 and Wednesday,
December 16. If you would like to deliver some care packages, please contact Duane Tweeten at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Take Them a Meal: One of the ways we can help families is to make and deliver food during times of need. Whether it's someone who just welcomed a new baby, just had surgery or is sick, let's fill their tables and warm their hearts! If you would like to deliver one of your favorite meals to someone in need, please contact Kelly Huegerich to be added to the email list. When the need arises, Kelly will email a sign up list and you can choose the date that works best for you. You do not need to participate in each meal request.
- Thrivent Builds Milwaukee: Thrivent Financial has partnered with Milwaukee Habitat for Humanity to build over 50 homes in our community for families in need. Their Generosity Challenge Campaign just surpassed $15,000! Plus, they have an additional $13,000 that has been pledged for the 2020 Faith Build. They have a little ways to go to reach their $50,000 goal. Please click HERE to donate.
- We shared the build of Sha'Nahja's house a couple of months agao. The house is progressing due to the hard work of Thrivent staff, AmeriCorps, and Habituals. Drywall, painting and flooring have been completed! Be sure to check their videos on Facebook!
- Griefshare Group at Hope Lutheran is a grief recovery support group where people can find help and healing for the hurt of losing a loved one. They are looking for home groups and families who would like to take a meal to the Griefshare Group on Saturdays between 11:45am-noon. The meal needs to serve 12 people and should be individually wrapped for health and safety concerns. The meal only needs to be delivered not served. A thoughtful added touch would be including a 'thinking of you' card with encouraging scripture. Hope Lutheran is located at 1115 North 35th Street, Milwaukee. Please contact Mary Stafford-Nunez at email@example.com.
- Hope Street: Helps men, women and children by providing a safe environment for building community, developing self-sufficiency and experiencing the love of Jesus Christ. Hope Street will host "Serve Saturdays". Join Hope Street, either on your own or gather some friends or a small group, and enter into the Greenhouse for People on 26th and Capitol to help us do some work around our building. This could be cleaning, painting, or general maintenance. The next day to help is Saturday, December 12, 9a,-12pm. Register today, or email Thomas at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Bethesda is doing all we can to keep people we support connected to their faith and the community during the COVID-19 pandemic, but staying home 24/7 is difficult for anyone. Our DSPs and frontline staff are doing an incredible job of providing those we support with love, empathy and encouragement to get them through this time—you can too, by sending an e-Card to a Bethesda home! Simply follow this link, choose an image, write your message and click submit. Just a few moments of your time would bring so much joy during this challenging time.
- Feeding America is looking for volunteers to work the warehouse. Click HERE.
- A Place of Refuge is in need of your help!
- Blessed Again Resale shop is looking for volunteers. They are looking for YOUNG volunteers to give the Senior volunteers a break during Covid- 19.
- Become an advocate and friend for moms who are in need of encouragement and pregnancy support as we provide community resource referrals and help.
- Call Mary Stafford- Nunez for more information at 262-783-4270 or email@example.com
- Do you have another idea to serve the community? We would like to help! Let us know what your thoughts are and we will call you to connect! Please fill out the form HERE.